We have all seen celebrities get on an epic diet and training regime to bang out an epic transformation for a movie role. Take for example Zac Efron, Jake Gyllenhaal and most notably our very own Hugh Jackman!
Performance Enhanced has done the research and put together the key ways in which Hugh Jackman managed to pull off the ultimate re-comp (getting shredded and putting on muscle mass at the same time) and we have broken it down into a simple, easy to understand and easy to replicate way for you guys here today!
According to Hugh’s personal trainer his transformation took only an astonishing 4 weeks to undertake! That means that the two of them crammed hard during this time to maximise every hour of the day.
Decreased heavier reps: Hugh had been used to traditional ‘lean training’ prior to the Wolverine regime. The goal within the first two weeks was to pack on bulk muscle to start. As such lower reps on heavier weights was the absolute key to this.
Increasing to higher reps in week two: After two weeks of bulking muscle it was time to tone, as such in weeks 3 - 4 the reps were increased from the 2 - 6 range to the 10 - 12 range. This helps to essentially ‘carve’ out the bulked frame.
In addition to this training was typically twice per day with a session in the early morning and another in the late afternoon. Although it is said that a mini routine could sustain a single session a day with the same approach to splitting out the training and managing the diet also.
Pro tip: Hugh Jackman never used any weighted machines during these raining seasons. All exercises were intentionally designed as res weight!
Diet for the Hugh Jackman Wolverine routine was what’s known as ‘carb cycling’. This is a very cool and super intuitive / easy one to understand!
Heavy weight and training days: High carb
Rest days: Low carb
Why? The obvious reason here is because the body needs fuel to train and we can diet harder on rest days. Hence the strategy was to fuel up on a training day and diet more on a rest day.
What were the key inclusions in the wolverine diet? Choosing the right foods can be difficult when dieting so here are the main inclusions in the wolverine diet:
Minute is key to any good regime. The key takeaways from the Wolverine transformation as it pertains to mindset was the early rises according to Hugh.
In addition to this, a very cool quote from Hugh was to workout hard but workout hard to live a better life: ‘We all should workout to live better, not live to workout better.’
Meaning that you can juggle your professional life and a strict transformative training regime without sacrificing everything else in the process! Good advice!
Growth Hacker tips:
Many people have asked if there were any cool ‘growth hacker tips’ in this regime? Rather than rattling off for you an 8,000 word detailed summary, we have prepared for you here the key hacks that helped this routine phenomenally:
- Avoid all refined sugar products such as lollies, ice-cream, biscuits, chocolate etc. you may consume these products once a week only (use this day as your cheat day)
- Avoid white flour products such as white pasta, white rice, scones, bread, cake etc. these foods, like refined sugars products, do not maintain appropriate blood sugar levels for optimum muscle growth.
- If you are going to consume pasta etc. use a wholemeal brown product, or only have white flour products directly after training.
- Drink plenty of water everyday. Water carries amino acids inside the muscle cell where they are used to create new muscle.
- Always consume a whey protein isolate after training. Only whey protein isolate absorbs quick enough to assist muscle growth and recovery. Have it with chilled water or low fat milk as lactose slows down the protein absorption but low fat milk has higher protein content.
- Eat every 3 hours or a much as possible. If you expect your body to grow you must provide it with the appropriate fuel to do so. There is no substitute for proper nutrition. Don’t use supplements instead of a meal. They are an adjunct to proper meals.
- Train hard but also rest hard. 40% of muscle growth occurs when you sleep. It is imperative that you get at least 8 hours sleep a night.
- Never skip breakfast It is the most important meal of the day. After 12 hours of no food your body needs to be refreshed.
- Have a serve of protein with every meal. A serve should be about the size of you hand!
Supplementation and nutrition support:
Training regimes like this need highly effective nutritional support and first in class supplementation.
Based on all available research, evidence, facts and supporting documentation available around this routine, Performance Enhanced have listed the top supplements that would actually support a regime like this and we have also included HOW each one works in it’s contribution.
Weeks 1 - 2, Test boosters:
During a bulking phase it is imperative to maintain healthy levels of male testosterone which is the key driver of the human ability to move heavy weight!
Science has shown three key ingredients that can help to boost test including Fenugreek, Tribulus and D-Aspartic Acid.
The Performance Enhanced Enhanced T-Boost product contains the right mix of all three and is exceptional in supporting a heaving bulk phase such as the two week phase of this routine!
You can learn more about this product here:
Week 3 - 4, Fat strippers:
We noted the second half of the training regime overview where the goal was to essentially ‘carve out’ the bulked frame? This is done by training at higher reps, dieting hard and would be supported by a blend of two unique supplements, one being an effective thermogenic stimulant to support fat loss and another being a carb-blocking appetite regulatory product.
From our collection we have two products that would kick in perfectly during the second week or what’s known as the ‘cutting phase’ which are Thermogenic Shred’ and ‘Enhanced Melt’ which do just that!
You can learn more about these two products here:
We hope you have enjoyed this blog!
For all Wolverine enthusiasts use the code PENEW15 to get 15% off custom stack of your favourite supps on us! Subscribe to our mailer list to keep informed and we look forward to keeping you updated and informed with more cool content in the coming weeks!